We understand that finding the right lawyer - or any lawyer for that matter - can be low down on the priority list when you're setting up and running a business. We think getting the right lawyer on board as early as possible is essential and not something you should overlook. Whether providing advice on everything from structuring companies, advising on licensing requirements or property management to ensuring that contracts are airtight and compliant, appointing the wrong lawyer can have a massive impact on things.
In this blog post, we'll discuss five reasons why selecting the right law firm can make all of the difference.
- Experience and Expertise: One of the most important things to look for when selecting a law firm is their level of experience and expertise in their area of expertise. You will need a lawyer who understands the ins and outs of your business (beyond the basics), knows what to expect, and has a proven track record of success. Another key factor to consider is how focused the law firm is on meeting your specific needs. Not all firms are created equal, so you'll want to work with one that takes the time to get to know you, understand your goals, and tailor their legal strategy accordingly.
- Communication: Lawyers are paid to communicate with their adversaries and those sitting in judgment of their cases. Equally important, however, is finding a lawyer who can effectively communicate with you. You want a lawyer who anticipates your questions and keeps you abreast of the developments in your case.
- Ability to Work Closely with You: One of the biggest mistakes that people make when looking for a law firm is not choosing one who will work closely and collaboratively with you. It's important that you find someone who isn't afraid to be honest, ask hard questions, and help you develop a plan based on your specific needs. If they don't take this approach or are too far removed from their clients, then it could ultimately have an impact on the success of your case.
- . Experience with your Case Type: Many law firms will have legal expertise in their respective fields of practice, but may not have the same level of experience handling different types of matters. A good lawyer should know what to look for in a specific situation and what to do when encountering it. When it comes to choosing a law firm, you also want one that is committed to achieving results. This means that they are willing to go the extra mile, take on difficult cases, and fight for what's right. They should also have a solid understanding of the litigation process and be able to give you realistic expectations about your case.
- Fees: Many law firms will have a price schedule that they’ll ask you to sign. Some won’t tell you the complete breakdown of their fees until you’ve already signed a contract agreeing to their services. For example, some firms will charge you for the total upfront. Others will charge you on an hourly basis. You should be looking for a good firm that won’t take advantage of your company during tough times.
As you can see, there are many things to consider when selecting a law firm. By keeping these five key points in mind, you'll be well on your way to finding one that is a perfect fit for you and your unique needs.
Looking for a law firm? Contact us today! We would be happy to help you find the best fit for your needs.